The first requirement for participation in the Automated Export System (AES) is a Letter of Intent. The Letter of Intent (LOI) is a written statement of a company's commitment to develop, maintain, and adhere to Customs and Census performance requirements and operations standards as participants in AES.
Letters of Intent should be on company letterhead and must include:
- Company name, address (no P.O. boxes), city, state, postal code
- Company contact person, phone number, fax number
- Technical contact person, phone number, fax number
- Corporate office address, city, state, postal code
- Computer site location address, city, state, postal code
- Type of business - exporter (U.S. principal party in interest), freight forwarder/broker, carrier, NVOCC, port authority, software vendor, service center, etc. (indicate all that apply)
Freight forwarder/brokers, indicate the number of exporters (U.S. principal party in interest) for whom you file export information (SEDs).
- U.S. ports of export currently utilized
- Average monthly paper SEDs submitted
- Average monthly value of export shipments
- Filer code - EIN, DUNS, SSN or SCAC (indicate all that apply)
- Software vendor name, contact and phone number (if using vendor provided software)
- Modes of transportation used for export shipments (air, vessel, truck, rail, etc.
- Types of merchandise exported
- Types of licenses or permits
- Anticipated implementation date
The following self-certification statement, signed by an officer of the company must be included in your letter of intent:
We ("company name") certify that all statements made and all information provided herein are true and correct. I understand that civil and criminal penalties, including forfeiture and sale, may be imposed for making false or fraudulent statements herein, failing to provide the requested information or for violation of U.S. laws on exportation (13 U.S.C. Sec. 305; 22 U.S.C. Sec 401; 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001; 50 U.S.C. App. 2410).
Send AES Letter of Intent to:
Chief, Foreign Trade Division
Bureau of the Census
Suitland and Silver Hills Road
Washington, DC 20233
Or, the copy can be faxed to: (301) 763-8835.
The LOI requirement can be satisfied by submitting the completed LOI Form provided on-line for your convenience. If you register to file exports to AES using the free internet application, AESDirect, your on-line registration satisfies the requirement for the LOI.
Upon receipt of your LOI, a Customs Client Representative and a Census Client Representative will be assigned to serve as your technical advisors during development, testing and implementation.